Enrolling in an accounting degree program is a smart investment in your most valuable asset – yourself. And enrolling in an accounting degree program online gives you the flexibility to study at your own pace and on your own schedule, making it a fit for your busy lifestyle. Accountants are in demand in the private, public, and non-profit sectors to help manage financial records and advise on business decisions.
Life as an accountant means more than just crunching numbers – they are filling key roles in many areas of a business. Some analyze data and identify opportunities to increase revenues or identify redundancies that can be combined to reduce expenses. Others consult with management teams, advising on product decisions, acquisitions, overhead costs, and more. As a career, accounting has a stable and lucrative history and remains relevant to all sectors of the economy.
An online accounting degree from the University of Alabama at Birmingham’s Collat School of Business can help prepare you to pursue an advanced degree or professional certification, such as Certified Management Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor, or Certified Fraud Examiner – all of which will further increase your stock in the job market.
Here, then, are five of the top reasons why you should pursue an accounting degree online:
• The accounting field is growing at a faster rate than the national average for all other occupations. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics shows a steady growth rate for accountants and auditors of 11% through 2024. Your accounting degree will help you compete in this dynamic and financially rewarding career.
• The median salary for accountants was just over $65,000 in 2014, which is just over 130% higher than the national median average, and it’s generally not possible to work in the field without a degree. You will have access to better jobs with more opportunities to advance, particularly if you use your degree to prepare you for additional professional certifications.
• Students who are studying online while they continue in their careers have the unique opportunity to apply what they learn to real world situations. This can help you to better retain what you learn, while adding some valuable context.
• Accounting is the language of business. No matter which specific career path you end up choosing, your accounting degree will give you a strong overall business background. You will learn to understand the inner dynamics that govern a business’s bottom line, and for that reason alone you will be a genuine asset to future employers.
• The University of Alabama at Birmingham’s Collat School of Business is renowned for its focus on leadership, innovation, and entrepreneurship. You will benefit from a worldwide alumni network and a rigorous curriculum designed to prepare you for a successful future in accounting. Your degree will equip you with accounting principles, business communications and foundations, financial management, information systems, management processes, and quantitative analysis skills.